Tim Cheek’s engineering interest grew from his high school physics and chemistry courses. His original concentration of electrical engineering soon evolved into materials engineering degrees. Tim started his career as a consultant where he learned the relationship between failure analysis and forensic engineering.
Prior to arriving at DELTA [v], Tim Cheek spent seven years at a commercial vehicle manufacturer. There he was responsible for the metallurgical lab where he handled failure analysis and truck product & design development. Although Tim enjoyed that experience, he missed the client interaction that consulting allowed. In 2005, Tim moved to Charlotte to join the DELTA [v] team. Today, Tim is DELTA [v]’s resident vehicle product liability expert with a specialty in material failures, heavy truck systems, and truck fire cause & origin. He also handles commercial vehicle accident reconstruction matters nationwide with a special interest in Event Data Recorder extraction.
Because much of his workweek involves traveling, Tim would spend his time off close to home. His ideal day off would be spent in a local hammock with a cool breeze and a good book.
- B.S., Materials Science & Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- M.S., Materials Science & Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Reconstruction
- Motor Vehicle Systems & Component Analysis
- Heavy Vehicle EDRs
- Truck Fire Investigation
- Designated Mack Affiliate for the East Coast
- Published in Various Industry Journals and Publications
- Expert analysis of a very complex vehicle product liability lawsuit
- Published numerous industry research papers
- Co-authored a chapter in Northwestern’s Accident Reconstruction book
- Presented at SAE’s EDR Symposium
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Certified Fire and Explosion Investigator
- Licensed Commercial Vehicle Operator (Class A CDL)
- Certified CDR Technician & Analyst
- CXLT Certification
- SAE (2003 Distinguished Member Award)
- National Association Fire Investigators